This imposing building, whose walls of cream-colored stone are punctuated by a series of stately windows, overlooks the Tosabori River, seamlessly blending with its surroundings. The Sumitomo Building (present-day Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Osaka Head Office Building) where former Sumitomo Head Office and affiliated companies were based is generously proportioned, extending 74 meters east to west and 84 meters south to north. The first phase of construction was completed in 1926 (15th year of the Taisho era) and the second phase in 1930 (5th year of the Showa era). Each of the three entrances, facing north, east, and west respectively, features magnificent Tatsuyamaishi*1 stone columns of the Ionic order. The thick walls fully reveal the attractiveness of the natural stone, with its gradations of color, texture and tone. Shafts of light entering through the series of deep-set, tall, oblong windows conjure up an alluring sense of depth in the building’s interior, creating a dignified yet simple impression.
*1 Rhyolitic tuff from Tatsuyama, Iho-cho, Takasago City, Hyogo Prefecture